Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Some more thoughts on respect

There are some people out there who disrespect you, no matter what. Do they not realize how their actions affect you or do they just not care? Are they that oblivious or that egotistical?

I know someone who thinks we are friends, but refuses to treat me with any modicum of respect. I have even told him that the way he treats me is disrespectful, but he either doesn't see it or refuses to acknowledge it. It hurts worse because it's someone I thought I respected, but now I see that he is no friend of mine.

My friend and I were discussing this phenomenon and she pointed out to me, even in a relationship that has a top and a bottom, there still needs to be respect or it will not work. I will go a step further and say that in a friendship that is supposed to be mutual, this will be cataclysmic.

You can beg, plead or reason with someone...but if they don't find you worthy of respect, you will never earn it.

No comments: